- Solfeggio syllables and hand signs
- Folksongs and circle games
- Solfeggio 'patterning' to aid inner hearing
- The 'flexible staff'
- Moveable DO
- Rhythmic understanding through full body movement
- Feel the steady beat first
- Use of the body as the first instrument
- Use of percussion instruments
- Use of barred melody instruments (xylophone, glockenspiel)
The Let's Play Music curriculum is organized into three sequential years. The first year, we use engaging games and songs and incorporate Tone Bells to teach staff awareness and rhythm reading skills. The second year we transfer these skills to playing the piano where we also learn chord notation, intervals, and harmonic improvisation. By the end of the third year, students are playing piano at an intermediate level, transposing music, composing their own music, sight-reading music, and are prepared to excel in further private piano instruction. To learn more about the curriculum, click on the semester thumbnails.